Public Library of Milies, Mt Pelion, Greece


Public Library of Milies, Mt Pelion, Greece
"Cure of the Soul

The Public Library of Milies is situated in the village of Milies on Mount Pelion, 26 km from the city of Volos. It is housed in a building erected in 1928 near the village square and the historical church of Aghii Taxiarches, as a result of a donation made by the Miliote Crystallia Ikonomaki, in memory of her husband George. The building was renovated by the Miliote Architect Argyris Philippides and a second floor was added in 1974.

The Library is historically tied to the famous School of Milies, inaugurated in 1815, which is in turn linked with three major scholars: Αnthimos Gazis, Grigorios Konstantas and Daniel Philippides, all born in Milies.

There are today 3.355 books of old print, as well as 116 manuscripts, 1000 loose documents and objects of particular interest belonging to the Milies School.

Besides, the historical section the Library also has a modern lending section comprising approximately 13.000 volumes and periodicals, which is steadily acquiring new books and is being gradually computerized.

The Library has visitors from Greece and abroad all the year round and the Library's is happy to show them around the historical section. Moreover the Library provides services to researchers, historians, professors and students, who wish to make use of the manuscripts and the books of old print.

On sale for the Library's visitors are:

  • The "Catalogue of the old books of the historical Library of the School of Milies" by Demetra Andritsakii - Fotiadi.
  • Four - post-card packages referring to the Library.
  • An illustrated historical brochure of the Library both in Greek and in English.

The aim of the Milies Public Library, which belongs to the Ministry of Education from 1955, is to preserve and promote its historical character while acting as a living cell of the intellectual life of the country at the same time. For the above reasons the Library organizes book exhibitions, presentations of book, as well as activities for school children, for the village's inhabitants and for those of the surrounding region.


Text : Rania Tzortzi, Hara Mihalakopoulou, Viki Tsirgoula
Translated by Hara Mihalakopoulou


Miléai, Pagasiticos Gulf View


Pelion Villages and beaches are magnificent



As the summer nights fall, the smell of jasmines, gardenias and primroses mix up, and visitors who love nature will find the place to be.


Free xml sitemap generator

Terms of Use - Privacy Policy

Agios Ioannis




Ο «Μουτζούρης», όπως λεγόταν κάποτε το τρενάκι του Πηλίου, για να δηλώσει την ατµοκίνηση και τον καπνό που άφηνε στο πέρασµά του, είναι ένα τρένο-τουριστικό αξιοθέατο των χωριών του Πηλίου.






Zagorin - Agricultural Cooperative

Ζαγοριν - Αγροτικός Συνεταιρισμός Ζαγοράς Πηλίου

 The Agricultural Cooperative is one of the oldest co-operatives, since it was established in 1916 by 199 people of Zagora of Magnesia. In 1985, the cooperative enters a new phase of action of organised commercial enterprise. The brand is enshrined and every authentic Zagorin apple bears the sticker which makes it stand out.